MANILA, April 28 - President Rodrigo Duterte is extending the restrictions on movement and gatherings in the Philippines' capital area and four nearby provinces for two weeks to curb a sharp rise in COVID 19 cases and to strengthen its medical capability.
The country is confronting one of the worst coronavirus outbreaks in Manila, with hospitals and medical workers overwhelmed in Asia while authorities face delays in the delivery of vaccines.
I am sorry that we have to impose a longer community quarantine expanded.It is necessary, Duterte said in a late evening televised address.
N-essential movement, mass gatherings and dinner in restaurants will be banned from May 1 in the provinces of Bulacan, Rizal, Laguna and Cavite, for a further two weeks.
Restrictions to curb the spread of the disease have taken a painful toll on the region, which last year suffered its worst contraction on record due to the pandemic.
On Wednesday, the Department of Health recorded 6,895 confirmed COVID 19 cases and 115 more deaths, bringing the number to 1.02 million new infections and more than 17,000 deaths.
While the government aims to inoculate 50 to 70 million of the country's population, the pace of its inoculation campaign has been slow due to difficulties in securing supply.
But Carlito Galvez, who is in charge of the vaccination procurement programme, said that this will change in the second half when the bulk of the supply the country procured will arrive, making 500,000 daily inoculations possible.
Galvez also said Israel has told Israel of its wish to get AstraZeneca shot plates which it no longer needs.
Approximately 1.56 million people have received at least one coronavirus vaccine in the last two weeks.Most of the pills have been procured out of 140 million but Philippines hopes to deliver 3 million.Where can we get a true story here?