COPENHAGEN, 10 June - The World Health Organization on Thursday urged Europeans to travel responsibly during the summer holidays and warned the continent was in no way out of danger in the battle against COVID 19 despite a steady decline in infection rates in recent weeks.
With increasing social gatherings, greater population mobility and large festivals and sports tournaments forming in the coming days and weeks, WHO Europe calls for caution, the WHO head Hans Kluge told a press briefing.
If you choose to travel, do it responsibly. Bear in mind the risks. Kluge said. Apply common sense and don't compromise hard-earned gains, Kluge said.
Over the last two months, new COVID 19 cases, deaths and hospitalisations have declined, causing 36 out of 53 countries in the region to start easing down restrictions.
The number of reported COPICID infections last week was 368,000, a fifth of monthly cases reported in April this year during a peak in April, said Kluge.
We should all recognize the progress made across most countries in the region, we must also acknowledge that we are by no means out of danger, he added.
Kluge said the so-called Delta variant, which was first identified in India, was a matter of concern. This variant, he said, shows increased transmissibility and some immune escape is poised to take hold in the region while many young people remain unprotected under the age of 60.
Countries should learn from the resurgence in cases seen over the summer of last year, even as vaccinations across the region are spreading all around the region.
With only 30% in the region receiving their first dose of vaccines, this would not be enough to prevent another wave of the virus, he said. The life of the business n'est in their possession, and each needs their love.